A flexible system with an experienced mentor

All of our mentoring formats are based on an ongoing dialogue that connects your meditation practice with other aspects of your life that you'd like to take a closer look at. The dialogue takes place in person, or via phone, email, text, IM, and Skype.  Students who click with their mentoring sessions tend to stay with it for long periods, so the turnover is low and (unfortunately) there is often a waiting list. Read on for more about our offerings!

Meditation Mentoring

This one-on-one mentoring relationship has proven very popular with students interested in truly deepening their meditation practice. The process starts with weekly Skype sessions to establish a vocabulary for dialogue with your mentor and to develop a strategy for your meditation, and then after that we can adjust the plan accordingly. Some people prefer weekly contact, some only twice a month. Some people prefer to move to telephone-based appointments, while others prefer not to set appointments but to schedule sessions when they need them. There is no limit to the frequency of contact with your mentor so you need not feel inhibited about reaching out.

Having the flexibility to IM, email or text to get an answer to a quick question or to schedule an impromptu Skype session when something comes up that cannot wait is what this system is designed for. The idea is to support your practice in the way you need. Approximately 75% of the students we work with are focused on relational mindfulness. For the remaining 25% of students, the focus is on classical enlightenment. Many students like to add Morning Meditation to the mix.

New students can book their first appointment via the link below:

Idealized Parent Figure Protocol (IPF)

Developed with  Dr. Daniel P. Brown, PhD, Mettagroup is very happy to offer mentoring and work groups based on his definitive work, Attachment Disturbances in Adults: Treatment for Comprehensive Repair. Described by Psychology Today as a "major breakthrough in treatment," the journal also said: "It should be required reading by every mental health clinician and provider as a basis of treatment. If it were, there would be more positive treatment results for a wide variety of mental health issues."

Developed to assess and address attachment disturbances in a totally unique and effective way, we also offer IPF trainings for professionals including licensed therapists and psychiatrists who want to incorporate this approach into their own work with patients. This marks a major development in George Haas's own lifelong work connecting secular Buddhist meditation and modern attachment theory.

Mentoring for Couples

While many forms of couples counseling end up negotiating the failure of late-state relationships, Mettagroup's meditation-based mentoring is focused on building a secure foundation early in a relationship (rather than trying to repair it later).  Mettagroup mentors were trained  and certified by Dr. Stan Tatkin's PACT Institute. Get in touch below for more info! 

Adult Attachment Interviews (AAI)

Created by Dr. Mary Main, Adult Attachment Interviews are scored assessments that determine what your specific attachment issues are. Anybody who is interested in attachment repair needs an accurate assessment of their strategy. We offer AAI directly to Mettagroup students, or if you're a therapist, we can conduct the interviews with your patients in conjunction with your practice. AAI includes a detailed report with reflective functioning.  


To find out more about any of our Mentoring options, get in touch at 213-378-0489 or fill out the contact form below.

Name *
Phone (optional)
Phone (optional)
Checkbox *
Which mentoring option(s) are you interested in?